Rooster issues

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LadyTurkey, Feb 2, 2012.

1. LadyTurkey

LadyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    I have posted about this rooster before. And his constantly attacking me through the fence. The final straw was when he went after me outside of his fenced in area and left two massive bruises on my leg, needless to say I attacked him back with a pitch fork. I thought that taught him a lesson. But apparently not, still he try to attack through the fence, its getting to the point where i am scared to go in my yard with out a shovel or something. Now keep in mind this is not our rooster, we only have turkeys. I have told the neighbour and she said just wack him with something, dont worry if you kill him he wont be missed. So what am I supposed to do in the mean time!!! Im 8 months pregnant i cannot be worrying about this stupid rooster attacking me everytime i just want to go spend time with my turkeys :( Im at a loss of how to handle this. My husband is gone for days at a time so im the only one there is to do chores.
    Sorry this sounds like a rant, but i needed to get this off my chest :(
    Part of me just wants to grab the 22. and off him! but the hubby has said no lol

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it were me I'd get a long handled fish net and capture the little bugger.

Then I'd show the neighbor the bruises while carrying the roo to them in the fish net. Then I'd say that if he comes on my land again I will have to put him down. Have your DH deal with it!

Don't shoot it as the bullet could stray and hit someone miles away.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. WILDaboutCHICKENS

WILDaboutCHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Texas
    As far as I am concerned you've got permission to whack the *&%$# out of him from his owner, and oops, kill him!! .....Whatcha waiting for!! Grab the shovel and take care of what's worrying you!! At 8 months pregnant I'm surprised you haven't laid into him already and plead pregnancy insanity LOL!!! If you want to, when you are done use the shovel for it's real purpose and dig a nice hole to put him in!!

4. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    AHAHAH, yeah "technically" I do have permission to whack the *&%& out of him. I had no idea roosters were like this! The other rooster they have is the biggest suck and sweetheart :) This other one which i have affectionately called Dagger, Is evil!!!!
    p.s pregnancy insanity is a good idea :p I am rather hormonal these days ahah

5. starhobo14

starhobo14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Missoula, Montana
    They said they wouldn't miss him. I (personally) would just give him one heck of a whack with a shovel. If he dies, that sucks but it was probable, if he doesn't, he may think twice about attacking. And if he attacks again, death blow from a shovel. Don't shoot him as the neighbor may see that as you killing him just to. As people don't normally carry guns to go see their turkey (all but once a year that it). If you are going to kill him it would be best to do it with a shovel. And with one blow, not twenty. Consider what an outsider looking in would see you know.

6. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Agreed, and good points. I dont usually carry a gun out to see the turkeys. Not even during thanks giving :p

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It sounds to me like your neighbor is hoping you'll take care of her problem rooster because she doesn't have the wherewithal to do so. In my opinion, "Oh, my rooster is bothering you? Just whack it and if you kill it that's fine." Is a totally inappropriate response. It's coming into your yard? I'd kill it or find someone to do it for me. You don't need that. I had three kids so I can say this and hopefully not offend you. At 8 months pregnant, you're not as agile as you normally would be. You are taking a chance of maybe falling while trying to get away from the little bugger. You don't need to take those chances! Your safety (and therefore the safety of your baby) needs to come first.

8. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Thank You for the advice :) I walk around out side with a shovel now, I figure better have it in my hand so I can use it right away. I dont understand why he wants to attack me so bad and not anyone else :( Even through the fence he charges at me. So far this weekend he hasnt been out of his pen. But when he does come in to our yard again....I will be ready for him [​IMG]

9. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    That is a real bummer. Your neighbor should take care of the problem, not pawn it off on you! The rooster should be soup!

10. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Agreed, I just want him gone so i dont have to worry about it. We have a couple large bald eagles that fly above our place....I guess no one knows a way to entice them to come down and take this evil roo? lol :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by