rooster issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stellacorina, Sep 22, 2012.

1. stellacorina

stellacorina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    HELP!!!! I love my roosters sooooo much but my other chickens are picking up some really bad habits from him like stealing the neighbors bird seed. And perching in the neighbors trees and picking on other roosters.:( what should I do?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    For one thing,you might want to figure out how to contain ALL of your chickens on your own property. I know I wouldn't be pleased with someone else's chickens on my property.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Get rid of the rooster. Fence the birds in. Chickens, hens and roosters both can cause a lot of damage to gardens, flowerbeds, and grass. If they are going over to the neighbors YOU are not being responsible.

I would strongly recommend not falling in love with a rooster until he is close to two years old, cause they OFTEN don't make good pets.

MrsK

4. stellacorina

Apr 4, 2012
    A: I dont keep my rooster as a pet
    B: I won't get rid of him. its his natural instinct
    C: I saved him from a friend who was going to shoot him because they didn't want him , so he's my problem now :(

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes, he is your problem now, but you need to be responsible about it. If he's going onto your neighbor's property, you need to fence him (and the rest of your chickens) in. Honestly, if I were your neighbor, I'd probably have chicken in the freezer by now.

6. stellacorina

Apr 4, 2012
    thanks by

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Consider penning the rooster only. Could you post a picture of the flock and area they have available to them for ranging?

8. stellacorina

Apr 4, 2012
    I can't. I've tryed to post pics but for the life of me I can't figure it out ps al the pictures are on my phone its an android. Plz tell me how I can post pictures from my phone to byc :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by