1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Jack O'Lantern and Other Fall Decor

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MissPrissy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I carved pumpkins today. I always wait until a day or two before because in the warm weather the pumpkins begin to mold very quickly. Suddenly it has gotten cool here. We had frost this morning. How fitting, frost on the pumpkins and just in time!

Here is my front porch. It is a bit dark but I wanted to see the pumpkins glowing.

[​IMG]

This little set of 'boo' pumpkins I have wanted to do for a couple years and never did until now.

The 'pumpkin pi' has become sort of a tradition at our house. I did the pi for my super geek husband our first year together and the people who came trick or treating have come to expect it so ...

[​IMG]

I like sweet happy pumpkin faces.

[​IMG]

This one took the longest and most time. It is the one my kids think is the coolest I have ever done - a rooster jack o'latern. LOL

[​IMG]

Have you carved your pumpkins? Do you decorate for fall and incorporate haloween and thanksgiving as the season progresses?

2. ChickMomma

ChickMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    Miss Prissy
    I love your Halloween decor and am a big fan of large front porches! I use the same pumpkins that you do [​IMG] I noticed that you had a string of lights connected together. May I ask where you got them. Right now I use battery operated pumpkin lights and that gets expensive in batteries!
    Sweet pumpkins are the best. Most of mine are also!

3. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hate wasting good pumpkins! It is food. With the drought this year pumpkins are scarce and the ones available are far too expensive to waste. It was cheaper to buy the fun-kins this time. So I did.

I used the replacement lights that go into the Christmas village type housesd and things. I cut a hole in the back and just spring clip it in. I found the 4 string at Michael's last night. With these pumpkins you can't use candles or the oil burners and I didn't want to use those flashing irritating things that run on batteries. What a waste of good batteries. LOL

Choosing the faces and ideas for the pumpkin faces is one of the kids favorite part of fall holidays. Last year I did a giant pumpkin with a barnyard scene. I would post a photo of it but I did our name on it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I love your porch - it looks so inviting. The pumpkins look great too. I carved pumpkins with my son just yesterday too.

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    You did a beautiful job and it looks so nice!!! I used to carve my pumpkins when my daughter was little but don't anymore. Do not even get any trick or treaters anymore,,road is dark, no streetlights, and I think parents would just rather drive them to neighborhoods or cul-de-sacs and let the kids walk. I still make up little bags of candy like when I was a kid "just in case" and end up eating it all....lol

6. ChickMomma

ChickMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    Yes, those irritating flashing things are what I have and want to get rid of! I love those pumpkins because they last for ever! There are not many pumpkins around here this year either. I work at a feed and seed and we had people coming in looking for them today because wally world was out. We have been out for a while and we only carry pie pumpkins for cooking with anyway! I use pumpkin carving kits that have different designs in them for mine and the tools work really well with these pumpkins also.

[​IMG]

If that works here is a picture of one of mine!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Miss Prissy, your home and pumpkin carving is wonderful!! You should be very proud. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thank you!

9. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Miss Prissy you are my hero!!! Wow! I love your porch! And the pumpkins!!! Is there anything you can't do?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chickmomma - I prefer those sweet goofy faces for jack o'lanterns. My kids have never liked the scarey stuff. We always do happy pumpkins.

Joanm - I promise there are many things I can't do. I am always willing to try any task and learn a new skill. You'll find alot of things are not nearly as hard as we tend to make them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by