Rooster just died, husband an hour from home. Should I try to process?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HeatherLynn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Well one of my Roo's decided to hop his little bum into our dog enclosure. We worried so about the dogs getting out, never about the chickens wanting to go in. He just now died in the past 5 min. Ok my husband was driving home from work to come cull this one for me because I said it was beyond getting better. It had puncture marks along the spine and was unable to stand or even lift its head. I do not know how to process a chicken at all. I watched once. Will it be ok to wait that one hour ( its very cold here if that helps this issue) or should I try to copy what he did the last time we processes and hope for the best.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Sorry to hear about this tragic accident.
    I guess it would really depend on how long it takes your husband to get home. If he'll be there soon (in the next 15-20 minutes or so) & it's cold enough to keep bacteria from growing, I'd say to wait for him.
    Then again, I don't know that it would hurt anything for you to try your hand at it. I'm not that knowlegeable when it comes to the processing, but I'm trying to learn.

3. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    If you do process him the meat probably won't be very good. Stressed animals will often have a gamey taste or tough texture.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I would be more worried about not being bled out.

5. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    hmmmm so what I am hearing is my roo is a total loss. Not what I want to hear. I guess I am going to attempt to process myself instead of waiting for hubby and hope for the best. I have been feeding all these boys for meat anyway. They were all supposed to be in the feezer last weekend.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yeah it should be OK , if you can though, it would proabaly be better if you go ahead and chop the head off and let it bleed out completely and have some water boiling so he can start as soon as he gets there. If you are going to pluck it that is, it would be much quicker if you just skinned it out and it that case you wouldnt need the boiling water.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  7. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am going to chop off the head and skin. I pretty much know how to do that. The only thing I could not watch last time was the guts. I had to sit in the blueberry patch till the dizzies went away and by then he was done. Well wish me luck.

8. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Dogie Germs in the bite areas?, I would do as mentioned above, cut the head, hang by the feet, and have the hot water ready.

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:If you take care of the bleed out and skinning, set him to chill, the evisceration should be able to wait on your husband w/o to much issue. It's not like chicken is eaten undercooked, and no process of the life or death of a chicken is sterile. That's just my opinion though.

10. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:If you take care of the bleed out and skinning, set him to chill, the evisceration should be able to wait on your husband w/o to much issue. It's not like chicken is eaten undercooked, and no process of the life or death of a chicken is sterile. That's just my opinion though.

agreed

proper cooking should easily take care of any potential contamination that may occur

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by