Rooster just doing his job............

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rubyred12, Mar 25, 2017.

1. rubyred12

rubyred12 New Egg

Jul 26, 2015
    I have a dozen hens and, for good reason, no rooster. I help a neighbor on her horse farm who has a rooster. For whatever reason he seems to not like me. I've tried challenging him with a plastic pitchfork but he just keeps coming after me. He'll even come after me while I'm in the stalls cleaning them out. I've been told he's done the same to other people, but has eventually 'gotten over it' and doesn't bother them anymore. I don't know what I do or don't do that causes him to come after me. ANY advice would me greatly appreciated.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    He's not "just doing his job," he's being an a--hole because the owner has allowed him to be one.. Tough since it's not your bird, but in your shoes - I wouldn't just let the attacks continue - whether that's insisting she confine him while you're there or a swift kick whenever he's around..

I have 2 roosters - My oldest kid (9) feeds them, picks them up enters the coop regularly; as do I and there are zero signs of aggression (and they'll stay that way or the birds won't be around). Roosters are around to manage a flock, mate the hens, and in a worst case scenario - sacrifice himself for the hens. Cockerels aren't there to attack things that aren't aggressive or a threat to the flock, and I'd argue cockerels aren't meant to fight anything (they'll never win against a legitimate predator anyway) - I'd prefer they sound an alarm to get the girls moving and make us aware we need to dispatch whatever is after them. If this guy were my bird, he'd be en route to the table or the compost pile..

3. rubyred12

rubyred12 New Egg

Jul 26, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. Lately he's been getting locked in one of the stalls while I'm there and then released when I leave. I just can't figure out why he hasn't given up like he has with some of the other people going in and out of the barn. I'm not afraid of him, but I definitely watch my back when I'm there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by