rooster just laid full size egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by painterpeach, Aug 21, 2011.

1. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    i bought a pair of gold seabrights a few weeks ago. thought i had a hen and a rooster. well! i just wittnesed this pea combed wattle swinging handsome rooster shoot a full size egg out of his err her vent! i have a wittness so i know im not completly crazy! annyone else have this problem and or blessing?[​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    If it is a rooster that layed and egg, WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T HATCH IT!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I have heard that seabrights are hard to sex based on the feathers....so the only real difference is size of the bird?

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I get a lot more $$ for my rooster eggs than hen eggs. People just seem the like em better.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If that bird is truly a rooster, it may be intersexed. If he laid an egg, he must have oviducts and other female reproductive organ structures. If that rooster laid that egg, I wouldn't ever expect any fertilized eggs from the true hen.[​IMG]

6. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    If it is a rooster that layed and egg, WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T HATCH IT!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't know too much about seabrights, but I would assume it would have sickle and hackle feathers just like any other breed of rooster. I think you have two ladys there, one is just older. If that were a boy, it would have long, stringy feathers just before the tail. Either that's a hen, or the most hen feathered rooster I've ever seen. If you had an egg laying rooster, you would certainly have something special there. Good luck!

Edited to add: well, I retract my previous statement. I just read that sebright roos are supposed to be hen feathered. So they shouldn't have the stringy feathers just before the tail. I still think you have two hens though and that your suspected rooster is a laying age hen.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:Research sebrights. They are feathered differently.

9. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    my wife still thinks im crazy! lol! my dad was my witness though!

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up sex change on the Feather Site web site. I was just reading about it the other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by