Rooster keeps head down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Momhen, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    HELP!!!

Yesterday I noticed my 3 1/2 yr. old rooster standing on a log in a sheltered sun spot with his head drooping down below his legs and I thought sleeping. I thought it was just a bit of R&R while he let the other rooster keep an eye on the flock.

But today I noticed that he is standing like that all the time. The odd time he will lift his head but then let's it droop down again. He seems quite lethargic and isn't too interested in eating or drinking.

I also noticed a few blood spots on his comb - probably from the young rooster (1 year old) who has been possibly asserting his authority a bit (especially if Chico isn't well).

He doesn't seem to have any breathing difficulties or noticeable mites or any other physical problems. What could this be? I've searched the forum a bit but can't find anything similar. I've separated him from the flock and have tried giving him food by hand but he doesn't even seem very interested in that. I'll maybe try some natural yogurt in case he can't swallow very well.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

injury from the fight?

sorry not sure- I'd be feeling where the body connects to the neck up till I found the problem.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Botulism is a possibility, do a molasses or Epsom salt flush and supportive care. From eating something moldy etc.....

4. Momhen

Aug 5, 2011
    There doesn't seem to be any injury to his neck or otherwise. Although his neck feathers do seem puffed out a bit, more so than usual. I fed him some yogurt and a bit of water. He enjoyed the yogurt but only ate about 1/2 tsp or less. He had a little life in him after eating the yogurt but is once again lethargic and drooping his head a bit.

I'll look into the treatments for botulism.

5. Momhen

Aug 5, 2011
    How do I do a molasses or epsom flush?

I've read that if it is botulism then I shouldn't give water or food if it's not eating as it may go into the lungs and cause pneumonia.

Not sure what to do. I'll separate him and keep him comfortable for the time being.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

7. Try hard boiling some eggs and offering the yolks or the whole thing all chopped up, minus the shell. Shredded cheese is something he might be interested in. Keep offering yogurt. If he doesn't eat enough to support himself, I'd mix some powder for a protein drink into his water. That will get some nutrition into him anyway. Alfalfa is an appetite stimulant so what I do when they won't eat is make some alfalfa tea. About 1 tsp of dried alfalfa leaves steeped in about 2 cups of very hot water for a half hour or so. Pour all of it into a jar and set aside to cool. After it has cooled down, you can use half water, half tea for his water source and mix protein drink mix into that. Works wonders! If you can keep him eating, he'll have a better chance.

Take note as to how his droppings look and keep him warm.

8. Momhen

Aug 5, 2011
    RIP Chico! Tried feeding our Chico with yogurt and bread soaked in water which he ate a little of. Finally took him to the vet 3 days after my initial concern and they thought that the mites could have gotten into the brain and nervous system. In case it was an injury they gave him an anti-inflammatory and painkiller which should have perked him up after a few hours - it didn't. In fact by this morning he was having difficulty standing and still no change to his neck. The vet didn't think it was viral as virus infections usually kill poultry within in 2 days and would go through the flock; none of the other chickens seems affected. I'm still not convinced that it isn't viral and am keeping a close on the rest of the flock.

I was pleased with myself that I could pull Chico's neck to relieve him of his misery. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be once I realised that he wasn't going to recover. The worst part though been my 10 year old's reaction to having to put Chico down. He is angry at me for having to do it and won't let me comfort him. My hubby is away until tomorrow night so he is a bit on his own getting through this. In time he'll understand that killing him was the right thing to do but that could take awhile. Sigh!!!!

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So very sorry......

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm sorry Momhen. Having chickens can be so sad sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by