1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster keeps pinching me, ready to be rid of him

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jtbrown, Jun 22, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    We got 6 production reds end of March. Supposed to be Pullets (I actually thought they were sex links, but I was new). We have a red cockeral, actually kind of pretty, big comb, bright red, etc. But he sees me, the flock tender as a threat. He bites my legs (initially thought due to my freckles), he goes for my toes ( I know sandals are not appropriate coop attire, but none of the other birds, including bantam roosters and 3 light brahma roosters care about my birks in the coop). Tonight the little red tyrant grabbed a pinch of forearm flesh and left a bruise when I reached for feeder to refill it and apparently startled him. It hurt, it bruised, I am mad. [​IMG] So I gently grabbed him, put him on his side, held his head down and then gently pecked his head. I had read to try this. I was gentle and stopped struggling as soon as i put his head down. So I did it twice while out there, I am the dominant rooster red, don't you forget it.

I am not afraid of him, I am irritated. So he was sold as a day old March 29. Approaching 12 weeks fast. When can I pass him on to a friend for chow or take him to neighboring Amish folk for 1.50 butchering? He is good size but smaller than light brahma Cockerals. Any thoughts appreciated, I have about 8 or 9 roosters out of 44 I need to deal with before fall, but he is forcing my hand. I don't want to eat or give away a puny bird for friends to eat.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    To me, with that breed, 15 weeks is the youngest I would go. Some people do butcher them at 12 weeks, but there is just not much meat there. 18 weeks is about the optimum for me as far as meat production. They'll still grow after that but the growth rate really slows down.

At that age, you cannot really fry him. He'll be too tough. But there are plenty of ways to cook him, all involving fairly low heat, moisture, and a bit of time. He should taste really great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by