Rooster Kill?

skennedy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Denham Springs, LA
:(Has anyone had a rooster that has spurred a hen so bad it broke the skin? I found one of my hens yesterday that had severe wounds on both sides that looked like where the roosters spurs were during mating. The skin on the right side was ripped down really bad. She couldn't even move on her own. I had to stop her suffering.

At least I had baby chicks hatching on the same day, it helps to watch them after that.
smile.png

Yes, this happens, usually if you have a particularly submissive hen, or too big of rooster to hen ratio. You can help this by adding more hens, and trimming the roosters spurs. You can see information on this on my site HERE . Good luck!

If the skin is broken, you need to separate her or they'll never heal. Some roosters seem to like certain hens more than others. So he may be breeding her several times per day and others not at all. But, for 100% certain, she won't get better on her own if she's still exposed to the rooster or other hens.

I've heard of people using a lighter or very hot baked potato to remove the spurs from their roos. You hold the lighter flame or potato on the spur taking care not to touch it to the chicken's leg, then, after a minute or two, the outer shell of the spur is softened. Then grab it with some pliers and twist. The spur husk comes right off, leaving a tiny 'mini-spur' underneath. This has to be repeated, since the spur will grow back just like our fingernails, but it's quick and easy and there's minimal blood. At least that what people say, I haven't done it myself, not yet. However, this is the method I'm planning to use, since I don't want to make my buddy rooster bleed too much!!!

First off, if you cut them properly, they won't bleed at all. If they bleed, you cut them too short. If you twist the husk off, you will end up with a sharp spur again right away, instead of having a short, fat spur with no point at all. It's up to you what you do, but cutting is much better for the hens, and it is easy to slip the spur from the leg bone if you try to twist it off. There is step by step instructions with pics on my site, and if you follow them, you will be fine. Good luck!

CUDA as I am in the UP of MI I found your site very helpful. I had heard of Dubbing but had no idea what it was. Thanks for all that info. Now for the ? When my chicks are old enough to dub do you want to take a trip to the UP to do it LOL as I am going to be too chicken for that LOL. Thanks again for all the info it was really great to visit and look around on your site.

Back
Top Bottom