Rooster killed brooding hen???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HollowellHouse, Nov 2, 2013.

1. HollowellHouse

HollowellHouse New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    I'm not 100% positive but I think my rooster killed my brooding hen. That pen only had one silkie rooster and one silkie hen. She started brooding on two eggs five days ago and I decided to let her have some babies. I was contemplating moving her for the chicks' sake but thought I had a little time to get that straight. This morning my daughter discovered her dead in the hen house. There were feathers all over the pen and inside the house and she was completely torn apart and missing all of her entrails. We are devastated and feel we failed to protect her. The rooster is completely fine. He has no defensive wounds and the pen doesn't have any evidence of a break-in.

I am wondering if it's because she was his only hen. If he had others to keep him busy while she was brooding, would this not have happened?

And now that there's no mother hen, can we incubate the eggs? I'm pretty sure the incident happened shortly before my daughter discovered it as the meat looked fresh and rigor had not set in. However the eggs did not feel warm. We have them under a heat lamp now.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, you can try to incubate the eggs. They are pretty tough about stuff like that.

That rooster did not do that. To me, that sounds a whole lot like a possum, though skunk is not out of the picture. You’d be surprised at how small a hole they can get in. Look for tracks and especially poop in that area to try to identify what it was for sure but I’m betting possum from what you described.

3. HollowellHouse

HollowellHouse New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Thank you so much. We will fortify our pens better, as it will surely be back for future meals. (We have other pens and mor chickens). We are going to try to save the babies/eggs. And are very glad it wasn't our precious rooster!

4. HollowellHouse

HollowellHouse New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Success story!!! I can't believe it but we had one of the eggs hatch! (The other one didn't show anything when candled). I put the egg under a heat lamp and when I thought it might be floe (wasn't exactly sure of the dates) I put it in the bathroom with two humidifiers and a wet washcloth inside a fish tank. This evening, the chick hatched, healthy and doing well. Thank you for giving us hope to push forward. We are so happy to have a baby from our beloved, beautiful, sweet silkie!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by