Rooster killed other rooster Question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Little_Rooster66, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Little_Rooster66

Little_Rooster66 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    One of my roosters killed the other last night and I have a question.

I was going to send the unfortunate one to freezer camp today. My question is can he still be processed? or is it just a waste? He hasn't been expired long maybe a few hours. I am thinking not but would like some opinions please. If not what a waste he would have been a great roaster.

Thanks

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Rooster spurs transfer a great deal of bacteria. If the living rooster has spurs, I wouldn`t et the dead one. Up to you.........Pop

3. Little_Rooster66

Little_Rooster66 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    Quote:Rooster spurs transfer a great deal of bacteria. If the living rooster has spurs, I wouldn`t et the dead one. Up to you.........Pop

Thanks that's kinda what I was thinking but wanted some more expertise on the subject. Yes the living one has spurs although I did not see any blood so not sure how he killed him. I know it wasn't a predator because they were locked up in coop at night and that was the only one expired. I noticed he wasn't out this morning for breakfast and looked in the coop and there he was on the coop floor.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I agree and we do not process any ill, damaged, or tragically killed animals for safety reasons. Only healthy birds get to go to freezer camp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by