Rooster knocked hens eye out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whitebutcher, Oct 19, 2008.

1. whitebutcher

whitebutcher New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    back in the hills
    I have a black sex link hen whos eye was recently knocked out by an over anxious rooster.The hen is eating well and drinking normaly,but the whole side of her face is swollen.Will she be ok and what treatment could i use to get the swelling to go down.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    That sounds terrible. I am so sorry. I wish I could help but have never encountered a problem like this one, hope i never do either. I would think she should be put on some antibiotics for infection and keep the area very clean.

3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Definitly antibiotics. WOW I have never heard of any thing like that happening. I would have tried taking her to a vet but if it happened to me I would probably find out that I don't have around here. Guess I should start looking just in case. I really hope she will be okay. I s the eye like gone completly? Like laying around some where? yuck, it just paints a really nasty picture.

4. maria22000

maria22000 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear that! I would definitely do something to make sure the site does not get infected, like rinsing with tea tree oil. It may already be infectd if it is swollen, and maybe abx is already needed.

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you put the eye back in, or is it gone? The wound needs to be cleaned and she definately needs antibiotics. Hopefully you've got some terramycin ointment for that eye. Good luck with her.

6. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    OUCH! That would be enough to put you off roosters for life!

Do you have an avian vet near you? The site may need debriding and sounds like she needs antibiotics too. Does she feel warm- she might have a temperature which would indicate infection.

Poor hen! Fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

Michele

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* DO take her to a vet if it is AT ALL possible. TRUST ME!!! Isolate her immediately. Antibiotics are a MUST. Injectible is best. Do not let a single fly near her. Kept everything including your fingers and HER FEET pristine clean. Sterile saline (drugstore/eye care) to wash the area carefully 3-4 times a day. That's just for starters.

8. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I would put her on an antibiotic like tetramycin and use neosporin or TAO on the eye put some guaze over and isolate her until it heals so the others don't pick on her and make it worse. Just my OP.

9. whitebutcher

whitebutcher New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    back in the hills
    This hen is still eating and drinking normaly.By knocked out I mean the rooster put the hens eye out with his spur.The eye is gone,there is no gloss,just a small hole where the eye used to be.It does not seem to be bothering the hen much at all..I have been treating her with teramycin soulable in drinking water....I would like to keep her,so would appreciate any feedback from members who have experienced this befor.

10. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Pain relief neosporin on the head if there is swelling, will make her feel less pain. It happens, esp. if its a young roo. Other than that, just have to let it heal. We have enough spurred hens running the yard that we end up with a one eyed one or two every so often. You may want to keep an eye on her feed intake, it will take her a little longer to eat, so you may need to segregate her from other birds when feeding to be sure she is getting enough to eat. Good luck, but have a feeling she will be fine. (A chicken to a vet?...wish I had that kinda money to spend... :eek: )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by