1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster laid an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Adiii, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    So my dad bought two roosters about 4-5 maybe 6 months ago to raise as food. They are both naked necks and I believe they are brothers. They get on well with each other but one of them is a big scaredy cat and the other is the opposite. He is very curious. Anyway my dad let them out today roam today and when he went to put them back in the coop he said that one of them laid an egg! At first I thought he was lying but it was small and warm so I thought maybe he's not lying and it did really lay an egg! Now I'm not sure if it is a cockerel or a hen as it doesn't have a large comb on its head but the tail is quite curved like a cocks should be. Can anyone help me? Is it a hen and we were told it's a cock or is this a rare incident.
    We have two other small cockerels (around 3 months or younger and a duck. I believe he is a drake as it's got a green head and looks different to female ducks so the egg can't belong to them)

2. DeepDishChix

DeepDishChix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    Can you give us a picture? Maybe a wild bird laid the egg?

3. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is the one that laid the egg according to my dad

4. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

And this is the egg it laid

7. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Do they crow? I don't see any pointy saddle feathers before the tail on either but the pic is a little blurry on the second one to see the feathers. Here's my wee polish roo before he was crowing and mature, you can see those thin, pointy feathers at the base of the tail indicating he's a male. They grew in at about 3 months.
    [​IMG]

8. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    Yeah sorry about the pictures. They won't stay in one place long enough to let me take a picture. Do you think it might be a female? Because they both crow and the grey one does put up a bit of a fight like it will attack your foot like how cocks fight by kicking it with both legs.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those both look like hens.

10. Adiii

Adiii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2016
    Hahah. Seriously?! They were sold to us as cockerels. Also they do crow occasionally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by