1. BelleInBoots

BelleInBoots Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    West GA
    hey there, i may have ended up with a roo in this batch of chicks and am trying to find out if i am allowed to keep him. I have called the county in the past before i bought the house and to find out regulations on the coup but cant seem to get straight answers. its like the lady is giving me her opinion and not the actually law. every time she says "oh dont get any roosters" or "your not getting any pigs are you" because it is a residential area, but i cant get a straight answer if its actually legal or not, its driving me crazy. i have met most of the neighbors and know they are crazy like me, and am kinda the let just hope nobody complains type, but hubby is very by the book so ive got to figure it out. lol. any ideas where i can get a straight answer of the actual law for roos and possibly other livestock? i would love to get some ducks, turkeys etc. as well & just see what im allowed to have. i am in the county and i believe its zoned "lakeside residential" west ga :-/ if that makes a difference. thanks in advance for your ideas

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Why don't you try to call your county extension agent, likely they know and if not, could help direct you to find out.

3. BelleInBoots

May 21, 2014
    West GA
    thanks for the reply. forgive my ignorance, but how is that different than the city? i just assumed thats who i was calling..

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The city ordinance is what you are seeking, but seems you're not getting an answer. Our County Agent gave us a lot of advice and publications when we got our chickens and knew our local ordinances. Yours may not, but worth a call.

5. BelleInBoots

May 21, 2014
    West GA
    thanks, ill try that

6. Chickax2 Boomx2

Chickax2 Boomx2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    My town had it's bylaws right up online on the official city website. I just scanned through the bylaws until I found one pertaining to animals. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. BelleInBoots

May 21, 2014
    West GA
    so i finally got the chance to call the county extension office and they said they know nothing about it and that i should call animal control! ha ha. anyone else have any ideas of how i can find out?

8. Chickax2 Boomx2

Oct 14, 2014
    Ummmm... get one and wait for someone to complain?! [​IMG]

9. Chickax2 Boomx2

Oct 14, 2014
    Could you find someone else in town how has hens and ask if they know? Around here, you can drive the country roads and see signs for eggs all over... Or perhaps look on kijiji or castanet or whatever to see if someone near you has any chicks/hens listed? Is there a local livestock auction? Perhaps the feed stores? I'm all out of ideas...

10. BelleInBoots

May 21, 2014
    West GA
    thanks i dont really know anyone else around here as we bought the house recently. all the feed stores and stuff are actually in town, not the county, so im not sure that would help. I may just wait till he starts crowing and hope no one, including hubby, complains, lol. my only fear is that if they did send someone over because of a roo it might call into question my other livestock, lol. I believe I am able to have them as "pets" but like with the rooster issue I feel like i couldnt really get a straight answer. just that i cant have a hen house bigger than 120 sq ft. and the carport i am turning into a barn will house my hens. it is 320 sq ft. but the hen part will be 120. so hope that counts... :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by