Rooster laying eggs!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrinceSandwich, Jan 25, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I keep my birds in the barn ( for now anyway) and there a ground level and theres a loft. I keep all my birds ( besides the pigeons) on the ground level, but a few of them are starting to go up the stairs and into the loft. This incudeds a silkie X rooster and a turkey tom. THe silkie roo has a few spots that he likes to sleep in the loft. one of wich is on a hay bale by the stairs. So anyway..one day I saw him siting on that bale getting ready to go to sleep, and that was a cold night, so I desided to give him some straw to keep him warm. When i walked over there I found a little nest shape in the hay, and in that nest there were 4 eggs! I only have one other hen that freerangs in the barn and I don't think I've ever seen her up stairs. So I don't know where those eggs came from?? [​IMG] Could this be one of those gender changing things that sometimes happen in poultry?

heres a pic of the eggs

[​IMG]

2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    If you're sure your rooster is really a rooster, then there's been a hen sneaking up there that you just haven't seen.

3. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Are those bantam or standard size eggs? It could be a hen is coming up to make use of his nest.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you know your rooster is a rooster, and that nest is "his", he probably is coercing the girls to the nest to lay their eggs in his "safe spot". All of the mature boys I know have tried at one point in time to get the girls to lay in a nice little nest OUTSIDE of the nest boxes!!! Once my 11lb roo gave up at getting his girls to lay in the bushes and instead went though a 7x8 hole into the nesting hutch and called the girls in... I caught him in the act and watching him squeeze though this tiny hen hole was hilarious. He literally fell onto his face on the way out pretending like nothing happened.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    my roo will chase all the chicks out of the brooder so the banty hen will go in there to lay. sneaky roos.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My GC Maran roo preps the nesting box for the ladies. It's funny.

7. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    In the nest box to the left, you see my white silkie rooster making a nest for his red leghorn lady friend.....

[​IMG]

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My Honeycomb sits in the nest like he was trying to lay an egg, apparently he was just showing the girls how it was done cause they were all just standing around watching him.
    LOL he is a funny, funny boy, I just love him to death, he is the best boy I have.[​IMG]

9. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:their bantam but their a bit bigger than my silkie eggs ( but my silkies are only 7 months old so maybe that would affect the size [​IMG] )

[​IMG]
    The white one is the silkies egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by