Rooster laying on side-help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Halfbredmocha, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Halfbredmocha

Halfbredmocha New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Hello,

My wifes favorite rooster is sick/possibly injured and I don't know what it is or how to treat him better. His symptoms include being really tired, green liquidy poop and he is either unable or unwilling to stand up and he throws himself around. I have made a vitamin/electrolyte mix for him that he'll drink and my wifes friend recommended Sulmet because she had a chicken that had similar symptoms who is now doing fine. Is there anything else I should do to treat him or look for to determine what this is? Thank you for your time and help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Diagnosing chicken illnesses is pretty hard, and sometimes we don't ever figure it out without getting a necropsy after one dies. The electrolytes and vitamins are a good idea, and give him some egg or tuna, along with feed mixed with water. Probiotics or a small amount of plain yogurt a couple of times a week can help with gut health. Examine his legs and feet for swelling, redness, and sores. Look his skin over especially under the vent, for any signs of lice or mites. Check his crop to see if it is empty, full, hard or puffy. Injuries can be common in roosters, especially the legs. He should be confined to a pen or crate for rest until he can stand, and being near the others would be good. A vet could examine his poop for worms or coccidiosis. Heat in summer can cause weakness, dehydration, and similar symptoms, so make sure there are multiple water stations in the shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by