Rooster leans to one side

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicklinz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Chicklinz

Chicklinz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Hi, I have a sick rooster. He is weak and falls over all the time. This has been going on for over a month now. He doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better. I have had him on baytril for about 6 days now. I have not seen any improvement. He is still eating good and acting alert. He still crows every morning. He just has such a hard time with his balance. He is free of parasites both in and out. I had his stool tested, and have had him seen by a vet who had no idea what was wrong. He heard a slight heart murmur when he listened to his chest...but I have not done any further testing. However, today I noticed that while he was standing he was leaning to one side quite a bit. His tail also tilts to the same side. It looks like he has to lean like this in order to keep his balance. Anyone have any thoughts on what this is about? Would this be a joint thing or leg issue? He is about 6 years old, so he is certainly not a young spring chicken. I just thought I'd get some ideas. Thanks!!!

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Humm I'm not sure never heard of a thing, sounds almost like his equilibrum is off. Have you taken a look at the bottom of he feet for bruises, cuts or bubbles or something in it. I would probably start him on some Polyvosil. Wish I could help more but never heard or had anyone do this.. Does he lean on one side all the time or does he seem to rotate from one side to another? Sort of trying to stay off his feet perhaps arthritis, not sure if chickens get it or not. Try some childrens bayer.. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.... maybe someone has more thoughts?

3. Chicklinz

Chicklinz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Hi Thanks so much for replying! His feet seem to be fine. No scratches or anything unusual. It has been so difficult trying to figure out what is going on with him. I did consider arthritis as well. I think the vet mentioned this also. The vet did a reflex test on him where he held him and tilted him to the right to see if his leg would hop to support himself. It did. Then when he did it to his left side he did the hop thing only sometimes, and very weakly. So his left reflex is not very good and or balance is off. I don't know if this can be caused by arthritis or organ failure or virus, or bacteria infection etc...the vet I saw was not very helpful and even told me he's never really had experience with chickens. This was my local avian vet too [​IMG]
    I can't say for sure if he ever leans to the other side. I sort of just noticed the leaning thing today. It may be a new symptom or has just worsed to the point of being more noticeable to me.
    I do appreciate your suggestion. I may consider trying a baby aspirin just to see what happens.
    Thanks![​IMG]

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    If he's in pain perhaps that will ease it a little, Poor little guy and apparently he's up there in the age. LOL.. One thing for sure baby asprin's can't hurt him, so I say what the heck....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by