Rooster leg Paralysis Help!

Itsmeok

Hatching
Jun 27, 2018
Hello, so I have a rooster who about 3 weeks ago suffered from leg paralysis. He had no movement whatsoever in his left leg . He was not able to stand on it , seemed flimsy. He could not put any weight one it. I separated him and would prop him up on a pillow so he could eat and drink water. Fast forward and he slowly started gaining some feeling on his leg . Now he is able to put weight on it but his toes curl and he seems to be dragging the leg . I help uncurl them when I’m around but idk if it will get better. I don’t know what caused it whether it is broken or it occurred from some type of disease (Mareks ?). Well 3 days ago my dog spotted him in his coop and dragged him out accidentally cutting the top of his head . My dog is always around chickens , I feel he was trying to protect him not harm him I put hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on the wound. So far I don’t see any infection. Poor guy cant catch a break. I am torn , and I feel like I’m being selfish in keeping him alive. He eats well and drinks water. Now he is fighting to recover the wound on his head and his leg injury/disease. I don’t know what to do . Suggestions would help greatly!

Than probably not Mareks. That usually shows up before 6 months. Have you checked it for breaks? I would confine him to a smaller area and see if it slowly improves.

You need to bring him to see a vet. Dogs carry bacteria in their mouths that can be fatal. Go to PoultryDVM.com they have a comprehensive directory of vets who see chickens. They also have several case stories about different birds who have had dog attacks and survived which demonstrate details.

Sorry about your rooster. Can you post a picture of his head laceration? I would stop the peroxide, since it can delay healing, and just use the plain Neosporin. If it needs cleaning use saline, weak betadine, or Vetericyn to flush it, then reapply the ointment twice a day. Roosters can suffer leg injuries from being so active. It sounds like it could be nerve damage or possibly Mareks, but you may not know until after he dies and you can get a necropsy by your state vet. You might try making him a chicken sling to keep him upright in front of food and water.

Back
Top Bottom