Rooster Lethargic, head down and shaking his head . Help please !

VickiC

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
My approximately 2 yr old rooster is not well. He is normally active and happy. He is not moving far from the coop in the mornings and isn't crowing.
He is standing with his head down and appears 'vacant'. He is eating small amounts.
I have noticed black spots on his comb and he is scratching his ears and opening his mouth a lot , like he has blocked ears.
He is also shaking his head a lot, which he has done for quite a while now.
I'm really worried . I hope someone can advise me on what to do.
Many Thanks
Vicki

Vicki, Sounds like Avian Pox. He may be having some respiratory distress, which could include blocked 'ears'(do chickens have an Eustachian tube?). The Pox itself just has to run it's course, but you may want to get some antibiotics for the lung infection.
You may also want to seperate him from the other clucks, so they don't get the lung infection passed to them.

Vicki: Because he has pox doesn't mean that all his symptoms are from pox. They might be, but also Google a poultry disease chart. County extension services all over the country, as well as universities, post them. Find a good one with a chart showing disease, symptoms, and treatments.
Sorry I can't look one up for you right now--work nights, and late getting organized for bed.

Good luck to you. I hope he does well. Head down is high concern; please google, make your best educated guess, and treat immediately.

Have you looked at his mouth and throat?

These charts are really good. The head-shaking will be on the list.

I'd also pump him with high calorie, soft food. Scrambled eggs. Electrolytes in his water, because he probably isn't drinking much. Their airway is UNDER their tongue, so if you do force any fluid or food, make sure the tongue is pressed DOWN, and push your syringe toward the back of the throat. For water, best to dribble it on the side of the beak.

If you haven't done it before, you won't hurt him by opening his beak. Just wrap him tight before you do it, to keep wings and feet still, so that you don't have to try multiple times and stress him out.

I'd also pump him with high calorie, soft food. Scrambled eggs. Electrolytes in his water, because he probably isn't drinking much. Their airway is UNDER their tongue, so if you do force any fluid or food, make sure the tongue is pressed DOWN, and push your syringe toward the back of the throat. For water, best to dribble it on the side of the beak.

If you haven't done it before, you won't hurt him by opening his beak. Just wrap him tight before you do it, to keep wings and feet still, so that you don't have to try multiple times and stress him out.
Airway/trachea is NOT UNDER tongue,it is around base of tongue,before the throat.

Back
Top Bottom