Rooster Lethargic

jollayhollay

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Hi I woke up this morning to find my rooster not himself at all and not crowing like he does 24/7... His one eye is shut and he seems to be not aware of his surroundings. He doesn't have any injuries except for a little blood on his foot and his poop looks awful...

He won't eat or drink. His crop isn't full. He normally will cluck in worriness about his girls when he can't see them if I'm holding him but earlier he didn't. He just laid in my lap shaking. I can't understand because there is no indication of injury and he was himself yesterday.

Now he is throwing up. I don't want any of my other chickens to get sick. Can someone answer me ASAP... I'd be sad to see him go but if he is sick and it costs me all my chickens I'd rather put him down

How old is he? Coccidiosis may be his problem if that is a little bloody mucus in his poop. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, not eating, diarrhea(with or without blood,) and standing around puffed up or too weak to stand. Is his eye swollen or having drainage? Can he stand and move his legs and wings? To treat cocci, get some Corid (amprollium) from the cattle section of your feed store, and treat his water for 5-7 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. After treating, then give some poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days. Look him over for mites and lice. Worm him after you treat him for cocci, if he has not been wormed lately. SafeGuard or Valbazen are good ones.

Last edited:
How old is he? Coccidiosis may be his problem if that is a little bloody mucus in his poop. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, not eating, diarrhea(with or without blood,) and standing around puffed up or too weak to stand. Is his eye swollen or having drainage? Can he stand and move his legs and wings? To treat cocci, get some Corid (amprollium) from the cattle section of your feed store, and treat his water for 5-7 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water. After treating, then give some poultry vitamins and probiotics for a few days. Look him over for mites and lice. Worm him after you treat him for cocci, if he has not been wormed lately. SafeGuard or Valbazen are good ones.

He is two years old... He doesn't have lice or mites... And his eye is draining.

I never have wormed my chickens....

And he has been standing but only in one spot. Flapping his wings every so often now and eating a little but he's shaking and not following his hens or pushing them around like he normally does

What do his other poops look like? Can you see what looks like blood in your first picture? Besides cocci, capillary worms can cause blood in poop. They require 5 days in a row of SafeGuard horse paste or goat wormer to kill them. Dosage is 1/2 to 1 ml orally for 5 days in a row. If his eye is draining, he may have a respiratory infection, especially if it is swollen. That is treated with Tylan or oxytetracycline.

Update ... @Eggcessive my rooster seems to be doing better. Only problem now, his eye is very swollen and draining a clear substance. Do you think he still has worms? If so I'm going to worm all my chickens... and if you think so which kind would be best and dosage? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom