Rooster limping and holding leg out in front of him.

Romochickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Northeast, Pennsylvania
I have a 10 month old rooster started limping about one month ago. Now holds leg out in front of him and no longer will clench toes together. Had x-Rays and no sign of a break or dislocation. I'm at a loss and any help would be great. Will try to attach pics.

I have a 10 month old rooster started limping about one month ago. Now holds leg out in front of him and no longer will clench toes together. Had x-Rays and no sign of a break or dislocation. I'm at a loss and any help would be great. Will try to attach pics.

Not the best images of what he's doing. Will try to get a better image later......

Well though no one was able to help me with my issue, things did work out. The Rooster is doing well still has a slight limp but so much better. In hopes it may help someone else here's what I did. I started off with treating for leg mites and soaked his legs in warm water with epson salt and lightly scrubed with a soft tooth brush. Then coated legs with coconut oil a few different times during his stay in my chicken hospital.

Next I treated for pain and inflammation by add a little Tumeric powder to his food everyday. This really seemed to help with his discomfort.

Lastly I treated for worms and dewormed all my chickens with Safeguard Equine paste wormer. Gave everyone a pea sized dosing and repeated dose 10 days later. Did have a few girls pass round worms sick Rooster included. With this treatment please note that you should toss your eggs for two weeks after each worming.
After everything he's back to his feisty self with only a slight limp. Hopefully this information will help others out there with similar issues.

Back
Top Bottom