Rooster limping badly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChickInn29, Oct 6, 2015.

1. TheChickInn29

TheChickInn29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    Hi! Ive got a 6 1/2 to 7 month old roo who started limping yesterday morning. This morning he was limping even worse and he just lays around. He hasnt eaten anything besides just a bite of an apple this morning. However he is still drinking, but his poop is kinda a greenish color, and its watery. Will his foot heal on its own? It doesnt look like anything is broken as i have examined and felt up and down his leg/foot. Will it progressively heal? Or is it something else? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can he wiggle his toes when you stroke them? Are his wings drooping on either side? Can you look his foot over for signs of bumblefoot (swelling, redness, or a dark spot on the foot pad) and for any swollen joints? Green droppings can be a sign of not eating enough. I would offer him some egg and chopped tuna or salmon, and put some electrolytes (such as SaveAChick or Rooster Booster) in his water. How high are your roosts?

3. TheChickInn29

Jul 26, 2015
    Ive noticed he has a tiny black dot on his pad. Not sure if he has been vaccinated for mareks, but his wings arent drooping. Locked up the coop for 2 night so he and his girls are sleeping so i havent seen if hes able to wiggle his toes. He and some hens dont like to roost. When it was time to put them on the roost, he and some other hens hated it, so he chooses to sleep on a wooded slab. The wooden slab has a ladder connected to it so he cant be jumping off. He actually ate a tomato, some corn from his feed, and some meat tonight.Ive got some rooster booster so ill start him on that tomorrow.

4. TheChickInn29

Jul 26, 2015

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Little black dot? Sounds like bumblefoot.

6. TheChickInn29

Jul 26, 2015
    Its on the foot that isnt hurt. Just noticed that [​IMG]. But its more like the actual scale on his pad is black. It just doesnt look like bumblefoot to me. [​IMG]

7. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, okay, if it's not on the injured foot then I think it is just dirt or markings.

8. kilby

kilby Chillin' With My Peeps

How high are the roosts anyway? Could he have been injured that way? And no longer sits there because.

9. TheChickInn29

Jul 26, 2015
    He sleeps on a slab along with some other hens who dont like roosting and prefer to lay down. (Tried to put them on the roost, they just jump off and get back up on their slab) but the slab is off the ground, connected to a ladder, so he doesnt jump off. He usually goes in my garden every morning and jumps on the planter boxes and crows. So im thinking he couldve been injured by jumping off the planter boxes, he is a big bird. He just ate some grapes and meat. He wont eat his feed, and he is drinking.

10. TheChickInn29

Jul 26, 2015
    Im back! Roo still limping and not doin any better! Dont know what to do. Called a few vets and X-rays are very expensive..up to 250 bucks! What if they cant even fix him? Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by