Rooster Limping? What does this mean? Great Pictures of this problem!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KodiPie, Oct 16, 2013.

1. KodiPie

KodiPie Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Southeastern, Pa
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it is red and inflamed.

[​IMG]
    I see what I think is a normal pad, unless this is the beginning of Bumble Foot?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned his foot this up and I am concerned about the redness.
    So if any one of you can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
    My poor Rooster is only 7 mos old and he is a big boy. I have taught him to jump on command
    and I am wondering if from jumping he hurt his foot that way?? Or he may have a small thorn in the pad.
    Thanks a bunch! Kodi

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    More than likely he has sprained his leg. Feel it for any swelling or dislodged bones to make sure there isn't an obvious break. Place him in a quiet area or crate for rest for a week or so. Give him some poultry vitamins in his water. Check his walking after a week in the cage, and if not improved rest him some more. I've had chickens limp for a month with a sprain. Redness of the legs in young roosters can just mean that they are fertile and virile. I can't see a bumble foot scab in the pictures, but just compare one foot with the other, size and firmness of the pad and toes. Early bumblefoot may not be seen, just keep checking, or google some pictures online and study them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by