Rooster limping

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I have a rooster that is limping and I cannot find why. There is no signs of injury, wounds, scrapes,cuts, bites, bumblefoot, scaly leg, no missing nails or toes. There is no swelling either. He eats and drinks but limps so he does sit down often while his hen forages nearby. He cannot jump high or get down. If he's on my porch he has a hard time going down the one step I have. I suspect a sprain or something. Could I give him baby aspirin? If so for how long and often? He's about 7 pounds give or take and I'm unsure of his age because I adopted him. He is not mating yet or crowing but he is identifiable as a rooster so my guess is around 5 to 6 months old. In the image from left to right he is the first one. The second is his hen they are a pair.
IMG_20190106_140746344.jpg

At that age and with no sign of injury, Marek's disease would be the most likely cause of lameness. You can try giving him a poultry vitamin supplement to support his immune system but there is no effective treatment for Marek's which is caused by a Herpes virus. He may recover as suddenly as he developed the limp or he may deteriorate or he may retain the limp.... there are no hard and fast rules with Marek's, just lots of different symptoms and progression/regression. If it is Marek's he will always have the disease and will be prone to further outbreaks at times of stress if he survives this one. It is common for them to appear healthy and have a good appetite in the early stages and keeping him well nourished and as stress free as possible is important as stress will make the lameness worse.

Did this limp appear suddenly?
He may have pulled a tendon. It happens here from time to time.
There is usually very little swelling. You may, if it is a strain be able to feel a difference between one leg and the other. If was okay one day and not the next, I would think strain before I worried about Mareks.

Is his left leg the one that is lame? Sprains are the most common signs of limping, but look to see if he could possibly have a leg bone deformity called valgus deformity. Varus or valgus deformity can affect only one leg or both, and sometimes the hock tendon can rupture causing the leg to give out.
upload_2019-1-27_14-38-34.jpeg

I would try to force him to rest the leg for a few days by confining to a pen with a friend. Add some vitamin B complex to her food or water daily which may help his leg. In the meantime, this photo of Bocktoberry’s chick appears to be valgus deformity in both legs:
upload_2019-1-27_14-45-35.jpeg

Did this limp appear suddenly?
He may have pulled a tendon. It happens here from time to time.
There is usually very little swelling. You may, if it is a strain be able to feel a difference between one leg and the other. If was okay one day and not the next, I would think strain before I worried about Mareks.
Yes it was sudden and in the middle of the day about a week ago. He was fine then I went out to visit them and he was limping. He rests alot but is limping less now than he originally was. I just went out to check on him a few minutes ago and I looked at his legs again and feet . I can't find anything however when I touch and apply pressure to his right leg he acts out and wants me to stop.

Is his left leg the one that is lame? Sprains are the most common signs of limping, but look to see if he could possibly have a leg bone deformity called valgus deformity. Varus or valgus deformity can affect only one leg or both, and sometimes the hock tendon can rupture causing the leg to give out.
View attachment 1654957
Now that you mention that I did notice his legs along with his hens are different from my other birds. He is Cornish cross I'm guessing at least that's what I've been told. He is a larger bird and eats and smells different from my other birds. His stance is different its more apart and outward if that makes sense than my other birds. Valgus looks similar to how his stance is. I noticed his legs are thicker to than my other birds. I do not know much about Cornish, broiler birds but I know most eat them before a certain age. I just give them a good home to live out their life. He's free range 80 percent of the time to I do try to make sure he gets out and exercises since him and his hen put on weight rapidly. Would a baby aspirin help his pain?

Yes it was sudden and in the middle of the day about a week ago. He was fine then I went out to visit them and he was limping. He rests alot but is limping less now than he originally was. I just went out to check on him a few minutes ago and I looked at his legs again and feet . I can't find anything however when I touch and apply pressure to his right leg he acts out and wants me to stop.
If you could get Metacam which is an analgesic and anti inflammatory imo it would be better than aspirin if it's a strain.
When they strain tendons and muscles here and the limp is bad, I put them in a plastic pet carrier for a couple of days so they have to rest the leg.
I also give them a vitamin supplement and fish.

Now that you mention that I did notice his legs along with his hens are different from my other birds. He is Cornish cross I'm guessing at least that's what I've been told. He is a larger bird and eats and smells different from my other birds. His stance is different its more apart and outward if that makes sense than my other birds. Valgus looks similar to how his stance is. I noticed his legs are thicker to than my other birds. I do not know much about Cornish, broiler birds but I know most eat them before a certain age. I just give them a good home to live out their life. He's free range 80 percent of the time to I do try to make sure he gets out and exercises since him and his hen put on weight rapidly. Would a baby aspirin help his pain?
@casportpony can give you doseage.

When I've given baby aspirin I've given half a tablet every 12 hours for no more than three days.
You've got a wide choice of possibilities above. I would start off working on the assumption that the poor chap has strained a tendon or muscle before you start worrying about Mareks and physical deformities.
Put him in a pet carrier if you have one, or even a cardboard box with a couple of towels on the bottom. Give him some extra vitamins, his normal diet and a bit of fish or meat and let him rest.
If he doesn't improve (it sounds like he is already) then start to look at other possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom