Rooster living near hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aliceb, Jul 4, 2011.

1. aliceb

aliceb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I am new to chickens and don't have any yet. I'm doing research first [​IMG] I'm considering getting some pet/layer hens and I'm not sure about getting a rooster.

My question is: if I have a shelter and run with hens in it and I get a rooster but don't put him in with the girls but instead put him in a shelter that's next to the girls, is that ok or does a rooster need to be with hens?

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    If you want fertile eggs, the rooster has to be in the run with them. If you want not fertile eggs, you don't need a rooster at all.

3. aliceb

Jun 13, 2011
    I'm not planning on having fertile eggs right now, but maybe in the future?

4. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    A rooster is always happier with a flock of hens, not so sure the hens feel the same way [​IMG] Some people will have two pens and cycle the rooster in with the hens for about 3 days and then put him back. This gets you fertile eggs but he can't use the hens too much and wear them out. A favored hen will show signs of her favoritism within in time and those feathers don't grow back until molting time. I have one that is blind in one eye.. she's very easy to catch and looks it too. Now she wears her camo jacket for protection.

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Not a lot of point to having a rooster if you don't want him with the girls. You can always add one later if you decide you want fertile eggs.
    Fertile or unfertile, they don't taste any different.

6. aliceb

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:Oh the poor girl [​IMG] Was it from the rooster?

7. aliceb

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:I think I agree with you. I just wasn't sure. Thank You [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by