Rooster looking ill after recent unknown attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elle357, Sep 28, 2010.

1. elle357

elle357 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    We entered our pen this weekend and found one hen dead and completely ripped open on her back and partially eaten. Another one torn open but still alive and not eaten. Both were under their coop (which sits 3 ft high) in the corner of the pen furthest from the gate. We can't figure out what got to them, but all the others save for one who had flown OUT of the pen, were hiding in the coop during the day and looking frazzled. We cannot figure out what got to them, but the only way would be througha hole about 3 inches wide in ur garage that leads to the pen or a tree and roof of our garage overhead. Anyways, since then the rooster's comb and wattles are very very pale and he is not himself. He has no wounds but doesn't apporach and try to puff up like normal when we come to feed him. He usually is very territorial, but stays back on his own instead of inspecting what we are doing. Any ideas?

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    shock? hypovolemia, from being too upset to drink? and internal injury that's bleeding- any large bruises? Good luck. Keep him warm and quiet.

3. elle357

Jun 6, 2008
    Not sure, we have now found a hawk feather outside the pen, so we beleive this is the culprit. These were full grown hens though, as well as the roo. His comb just seems very pale, compared to his bright red and he is still not puffing up, as a matter of fact I have not heard him crow in a few days either.

4. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Birds will need to be in lockdown for now or hawk will get another.
    Right after an incident like this,surviving birds could use some electrolytes and Rescue Remedy for stress and shock. (in a pinch you can spritz Pedialtye on watermelon or something else they like).
    Offer everyone treats to bolster their spirits - sunflower seeds (which I consider a daily staple), mealworms etc.
    Roo - examine him quietly, gently, with soft words reassuring him the entire time. Sounds as though something is very wrong. He may have puncture wounds you cannot see because of his feathers, in which case he'll need the right antibiotic. It's been 3 or more days now - time is of the abolute essence.
    JJ (aka usually jjthink)

5. elle357

Jun 6, 2008
    It has now been about 2 weeks. All hens are doing fine, eating, etc...But NOT ONE has laid an egg since the attack. We were at least getting one egg every 2-3 days per hen. They are going on about 2-1/2 years old and the weather is gettinf cooler, so not sure if this has to do with all factors coming together or what. We did keep the chickens on lockdown for a while and have been closely monitoring them. However, our rooster (who previously was VERY aggressive to us and anyone else, is just standing alone away from the other chickens. WHen we approach the chickens previously he was right there, making sure everything was okay and usually attacking us. Now the minute we walk up to the pen, he goes the other way. He doesn't even come when we bring treats or scraps. He also used to crow a lot in the morning and any time a car pulled in the driveway or our dogs barked. Now, he will only crow when we imitate a crowing rooster. He just seems very depressed. Not sure what to do.

6. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Poor guy. How is his comb now - any better?
    Depressed could mean ill. He may really need medical attention.
    How is his eating, drinking and pooping? Does he ultimately eat the treats? What is his diet? How old do you think he is?
    I would give everyone Rescue Remedy.
    JJ

7. elle357

Jun 6, 2008
    He is 2-1/2. His comb is still faded and now has tiny black spots. He is in bad shape, this morning found him laying under the coop and the others were pecking him raw on his back, removed him to another pen. He just sits and han't eaten or drank anything and I see no evidence of poo in his area that he has been in for about 6 hours. Picked him up and held him a bit, which noramlly he would NEVER let happen. Where do I get rescue remedy? No crowing today, looks very tired, usually my chickens love popcorn, he wouldn't eat any.

8. elle357

Jun 6, 2008
    One more thing, his chest looks a little puffed out and when I press on it, he straightens all the way up??

9. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    is his chest puffed up or is it his crop?

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    How about giving him some vitamins and electrolites in his water, and also some antibiotics like duramayacin in the water. They are powders in a packet, and you can get them for around $5.00 each. Maybe he has an infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by