rooster looks dead with dark purple comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer12, Feb 8, 2015.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    my rooster was acting lethargic yesterday, just standing around with his tail and wings all droopy. He had no intrest in food or water, and was not running around when i went to care for everyone in the morning. I seperated him into a dog crate in the house, gave him an epsom salt bath, and force fed him water every hour or so with a dropper. He looked perkier after the bath while i was watching tv with him on my lap, and put him to bad after giving him a drink. He wasn't interested in any food i tried to give him, so i didn't push it. Crop is emptying fine, and he desn't have external bugs. Not sure about internal.

anyways, i can to check on him this morning, and thought he was dead. He was just laying on his side barely breathing. Picked him up and he was compleatly limp. looked closely and he was breathing, but his comb was a dark purple color and he had a small bit of watery discharge coming from his nose. His eyes looked puffy and were half closed. Any help would be apreciated...i really love this little rooster, he is a sweet bantam cochin mix and loves to cuddle. First chicken that actually likes to do that. Thanks for any replies.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? I probably wouldn't bathe a chicken that looked sick. He sounds with the puffy eyes and nasal discharge that he could have a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza. Have you added any new birds recently that could have been a carrier? I would bring him back inside where it is warm, and if you have electrolytes to add to his water, I would try to get him to drink some. Offer some scrambled egg and watery chicken feed to get something into him. Tylan 50 injectable might help treat his symptoms. For a bantam, the dosage would be 1/4 ml daily either as a shot or given orally for 3-5 days. Here is a link to read about common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks for the reply! Sadly, he died about 30 minutes ago. [​IMG]

I will most likely get some Tylan 50 to keep on hand for next time. What kind of electrolytes would you suggest me get? I plan to be more prepared for next time a chicken gets sick.

He was the new bird. I quarantined him for 2 weeks, then for a week i let him meet the flock through the fence. last week i put him in the coop and everything was going pretty good until yesterday. Not sure, but he was between 2-3 years old i think.

Also, i was curious, what would you recommend as a wormer? I have ivermectin for some other animals, and use DE on their food regularly. Will ivermectin work, or should i get something else? Thanks. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by