Rooster looks ratty

laurelsh

Chirping
14 Years
May 17, 2007
My black copper marans rooster, 4-5 years old, is not getting over his moult, and his butt is missing feathers. What can I do to get him in better condition?

Without a picture it is difficult to say what is going on, but I would not be surprised if his 'girls' are feather pecking/plucking him.

What do you feed?
I would increase protein if he's not feathering out well due to molt.
For my molting roosters, I feed a 20% protein all flock feed. Every couple of days I also offer them a wet mash of their feed made with buttermilk/water and add poultry vitamins. (they also have a choice of their dry feed too).
Thank you! I appreciate this info and will try it! He's in with my hens, so they will all get that, if I can find it with that high protein, otherwise I will get the highest I can.

My black copper marans rooster, 4-5 years old, is not getting over his moult, and his butt is missing feathers. What can I do to get him in better condition?
You are probably right. Too bad. He was gorgeous before.

Attachments

• 20210730_110943 rooster.jpg
    20210730_110943 rooster.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 4
What do you feed?
I would increase protein if he's not feathering out well due to molt.
For my molting roosters, I feed a 20% protein all flock feed. Every couple of days I also offer them a wet mash of their feed made with buttermilk/water and add poultry vitamins. (they also have a choice of their dry feed too).

Back
Top Bottom