1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster loses hackle feathers every year

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by curlycue212, Feb 15, 2017.

1. curlycue212

curlycue212 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    raleigh, nc
    every year my 6 yr. old roo molts and his feathers come in and he looks great. By the end of Jan. he loses his hackle feathers on his back leaving just the down feathers. Looks ugly then.
    Any info about this. None of the other birds lose any feathers. Not sure if it is bugs or not. Have dusted him in the past several times.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I think he is just finishing up his molt when this happens. I don't think it is anything to be worried about. :)

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    My first suspicion, given this description, is that he is being henpecked - the hackle feathers are common targets as they are very attractive feathers.

4. curlycue212

Apr 24, 2014
    raleigh, nc
    yes,, but they stay gone all year until the next molt

5. curlycue212

Apr 24, 2014
    raleigh, nc
    i guess could be, but usually he is on roost by himself. the hens roost on another next to him. (have 2 roosts in henhouse) .maybe they do it in the pen during lthe daytime

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by