Rooster losing feathers, black spots on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyFeetHens, Sep 23, 2018.

1. HappyFeetHens

HappyFeetHens Chirping

May 22, 2018
    I don’t have any pictures right now, but I’m really worried about my Mille Fleur rooster. He has small black specks on his comb and has been losing feathers like crazy. At first, the feather loss was a couple here and there, but now he’s really lost a lot. His tail is very small now. He’s missing a lot on his neck below his waddles as well. I can’t get a good look at it because he’s extremely aggressive. He was such a sweetheart up until the weather got cooler last year and ever since, he’s been too aggressive to even really look at. That’s why I don’t have pictures. Any ideas what could be wrong? Along with that - quarantine... should I do that, and how can I do it with such an aggressive animal?

Kayla’s Chickens likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Given the time of year and the fact that he is over a year old, it is most likely molt. I have a rooster with no tail now.
    Black spots on the comb are usually dried blood from the comb being pecked at or hitting it on something. Blood is right below the surface of the comb and wattles. Any abrasion will bring blood to the surface. When it dries, it dries black.
    To put a rooster in quarantine that is too aggressive, wear gloves and pluck him off the roost at night when he's asleep and can't see.

Cindycon and HuffleClaw like this.
  3. HappyFeetHens

HappyFeetHens Chirping

May 22, 2018
    Thank you so much! I would guess that since the other hens are standard size, they may have been injuring him. One does antagonize him occasionally. Thanks again!

4. He almost sounds picked on. Any bullies in your flock?

5. jolly wattles

jolly wattles Songster

Apr 27, 2017
    West Tennessee
    Hes just molting. We make fun of our rooster every year when he molts and loses his tail feathers. Think he knows it cause he gives us the stink eye.
    The little dry blood spots are usually normal when they molt cause their combs seem to be more sensitive during this time. Just bumping into the fence or twigs causes the blood to rise to the surface then dries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: