Rooster losing feathers in front of tail. Moulting? or Hen-pecked? or something else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by That_Chick, Apr 8, 2012.

1. That_Chick

That_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    My Ameracauna rooster has lost an area of feathering in front of his tail feathers. The tail feathers are fine, and most of his body is fine. This area looks o.k., the skin it not bare - there is down there. Is this moulting or is the hen picking on him, or could it be something that should be treated?
    Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd check for lice/mites if you haven't, but I'd also guess the hen is doing it.

3. That_Chick

That_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I took a closer look, and strangely, the feathers are not pulled out. They look like they are cut off about 1/2" out from the skin. Very nice, even, blunt ends. I put a saddle on him that will cover part of the area. Would this be from the hen or from himself? I did not notice anything like this in the winter when they were locked up. Now they have pasture access every day, and I am seeing this.

4. braddeeadams

braddeeadams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I am having the same issue, I have an american game rooster that is the same way, but I have seen the hens pecking them out..I don't know why they are doing this..any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by