Rooster losing his equilibrium?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksurreal, Feb 2, 2014.

1. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Our 23 week old SS Hamburg cockerel has been crowing for a few weeks, maybe a month or 6 weeks now, and I have noticed several times that when he flaps his wings very hard before crowing he will stumble around a little and list to the side like he is drunk! He doesn't do it every time, but I've noticed it 5-6 times over the last 2 weeks. He comes out of it within 30 seconds or so and seems fine.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their roosters or if it might some sort of ailment that is causing this with him.

Thanks!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Have you checked his ears? A inner ear infection can cause similar symptoms.on the more serious side diseases like Mareks can also cause loss of balance. Was he vaccinated for Mareks? Sometimes vitamin defencies can also cause like symptoms. How is his walking? Any limping or curled toes or falling over when walking? Is his neck twisting in strange ways?I would first check his ears to rule out a inner ear infection. Hope this helps a bit and wish you the best.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    X2

4. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks for the reply!

Yes, they were all vaccinated for Marek's at the hatchery.

He doesn't seem to be acting strangely or losing his balance at any other time than when he flaps his wings VERY hard before he crows. His toes aren't curled and he doesn't limp and no twisting of the neck in odd ways. He has never actually fallen over, just kind of stumbling and staggering for a few seconds. I will check his ears.

I'm still feeding them starter crumbles because the pullets aren't laying yet, but they free-range for hours every day and I give them hulled sunflower seeds and some fruits and veggie scraps from the kitchen. They get a small amount of ACV in their water and electrolytes a few times a week. I wonder if I should be feeding them something else. I didn't want to give them layer feed until they start laying.

5. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Just an update about our roo.

I checked his ears and there is no visible sign of infection. I didn't see him be off balance today during their free-range time (about 3 hours). Is it possible that at times he is just beating his wings so hard he gets dizzy or something? I can't imagine that, but it doesn't happen all the time and I just want to be proactive in case there is something wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by