1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster losing his voice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by YogiChick85, Dec 16, 2016.

1. YogiChick85

YogiChick85 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    My roo sounded great this morning. Tonight when I went to shut the coop he crowed and the first part was loud like usual but the "doodle doo" part (if you will) was raspy like he's loosing his voice. His eyes are clear, he is eating and drinking and otherwise acting just fine. Should I be worried? He does crow pretty excessively throughout the day. Could he have just overdone it? We are supposed to have snow and -2 degree weather tomorrow so I'm worried anyway - now extra worried!

2. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    If his crow is off tomorrow, then you'll have a better idea there's a issue. Hopefully it was a fluke and he'll be back to crowing as usual in the morning.

3. YogiChick85

Apr 30, 2016
    I hope so!

Thank you! :fl

4. YogiChick85

Apr 30, 2016
    His crow was back to normal this morning. Thank goodness...according to the internet he was going to die of avian bird flu or gape worm :barnie I guess maybe he got carried away yesterday and wore out his voice!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Glad to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by