Rooster lost half his crown!

anatess

Chirping
Mar 9, 2017
I have 2 roosters who are super chill. Well, they're super chill with me around. But then today I heard a giant ruckus in the coop so I went to check and found out that the 2 roosters - 1 silkie/polish mix, the other a modern game bantam - were fighting. Fights rarely break out between the 2 and when they do, the modern game who is a lot smaller than the silkie/polish ends up just flying to the 2nd floor of the coop. The silkie/polish can't fly that high so they're chill again.

Today, though, the silkie/polish ended up ripping half of the modern game's crown off! Poor thing was bleeding on his head. I washed him up with hydrogen peroxide (he was mad at me) and kept him indoors separated from the rest of the flock. He's doing fine. Loving all the attention but missing his darlings so he tries to get out of his pen. I feel bad that he lost his beautiful crown. It made him look very regal when he stretches his neck up to be showy.

So, 2 roos in one coop is not possible anymore in my flock? This is gonna make me super sad because I don't have room for another coop. And is there anything else I need to do for the injured roo?

Thank y'all for your assistance.

Do you have any photos?

Check him over for any other signs of injury. Peroxide is fine for the initial cleaning - if you find you need to rinse/cleanse the comb again, then it would be better to use saline or just soap/water. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment, vetericyn or Blue Kote to the comb to help promote healing. A lot of people dub Modern Games (trim off the comb/wattles) for show, so he will be fine as long as nothing gets infected.

Watch to see that he is eating/drinking.

Unfortunately - it does sound like your roosters will need to live in separate housing. How much coop/run space do you have?

This is a fear u have with my own chickens. 2 cockerels right now but the younger shows aggressive tendencies. I have been discussing with my husband what we will end up doing in the near future.

Yes I would say its best to give them seperate coops and seperate flocks if you want to keep them both, of course after the one has healed.

Four us a second flock isn't in the cards right now, and with young kids an aggressive rooster would not be allowed. So unfortunately in my case it's more likely that one of the cockerels will be finding a new home. I am however trying to wait it out as I hope to give one to another family but would like to keep the more mellow of the 2 for myself.

Do you have any photos?

Check him over for any other signs of injury. Peroxide is fine for the initial cleaning - if you find you need to rinse/cleanse the comb again, then it would be better to use saline or just soap/water. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment, vetericyn or Blue Kote to the comb to help promote healing. A lot of people dub Modern Games (trim off the comb/wattles) for show, so he will be fine as long as nothing gets infected.

Watch to see that he is eating/drinking.

Unfortunately - it does sound like your roosters will need to live in separate housing. How much coop/run space do you have?

I'll take photos when I get home. No other injuries, just the gash on his head. It has scabbed over now. He has become very skittish. I let him out on the yard with the modern game girls and he would be scared of a shadow (like when I'm walking by and my shadow would pass over him). He would go "eek" and run and duck! Before the injury, if he senses danger, he would fluff his neck feathers and spread his wings and run like that around his girls. This injury has changed his showy personality. Hope he gains his confidence back.

I have a 4'x10' coop with a 4'x4' second story area. They get free range of the 20'x80' backyard during the day.

Back
Top Bottom