rooster lost his spur

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by C0untrygirl82, Dec 22, 2014.

1. C0untrygirl82

C0untrygirl82 New Egg

Jul 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My 10 month old Brown leghorn rooster, Mo, jumped up to attack my 12y/o son but this time caught his foot in the collapsible wire egg basket. Cutting his spur off to the bone. So we cleaned the mud off with iodine wash applying antibiotic ointment and bandaged. Next day we got tylin shot from feed store, 3 doses. Gave first shot, did hydro therapy and applied dry bandage. Today his bandage was removed and next injection given. Yesterday he got a thirty minute visit with docile hen,Brownie. Then today we had physical therapy. He is doing so good! Even with exposed bone i think he will fully recover.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He should recover uneventfully. One could only hope that he has learned his lesson, but I tend to be a dreamer.

1 person likes this.
  3. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Did the whole wick get ripped off? Ouch! Do you think it will grow back? Poor guy

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Wish this happened to my 4 year old rat.He's so mean.1 time he was fighting me and decided to clamp my legs in spurs.I ahve names i could call him.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You shouldn't have needed to give a Tylan shot. 25 mg vitamin K tabs or Koagulone-D are helpful in those type situations. Even poultry vitamin-electrolyte powder helps. Leghorns are little devils. He's a handsome cockerel. I prefer to keep spurs cut back and filed. Some of those spurs can get quite long and sharp, lol.

6. C0untrygirl82

C0untrygirl82 New Egg

Jul 2, 2014
    He had exposed bone so tylin was recommended to prevent infection.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Names like Lunch, Dinner or Chicken Salad?

1 person likes this.
  8. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Exactly,(You genius!)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

:)

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey