Rooster lost spur-bleeding, painful

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grace Boyer, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Grace Boyer

Grace Boyer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    Hi y'all,
    The other morning before I came to feed the chickens, my rooster somehow lost HALF of his spur, and it had been bleeding, but was mostly dry by the time I found him, so I let it be, hoping it would heal itself. But today, when I picked him up and pressed on it a little bit at the base to see if it hurt him, it did, and immediately after that I noticed it was bleeding at the tip again. That could be due to the fact that he had just flown out of his pen and landed strange, but I didn't notice it 'til after I pressed the spur.
    So here are the questions:
    A. Is it normal for a rooster to lose half a spur? If he had gotten it caught somewhere, wouldn't the whole thing have come off?
    B. Should it be painful and bleeding? I thought spurs were just hard tissue, without nerves and blood, like fingernails.
    C. Under the dried blood, it almost looks a little bit green, although it's hard to tell for sure. Does that mean infection?
    D. What, if anything, should I do about it, spending a lot of money or taking a vet visit excluded?
    Any insight would be very much appreciated.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Green is bruising in a bird...A spur is made of the same thing as our fingernails. It's Keratin with the pulpy layer that has the blood supply. It's like if you broke your name down into the bed. It would bleed like a river and it would hurt. As long as it's not still bleeding and he's acting fine, a vet visit isn't necessary.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, what spottedcrow says is right. their spur is like if you broke your nail off half way down the part attached to your finger. It will heal and grow back though. Could have been anything that broke it.

4. Grace Boyer

Grace Boyer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    Thanks, y'all! Glad it's not something serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by