Rooster lower than hens?

CluckHeaven

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 22, 2011
We introduced some e new birds to the flock. We had 1 rooster and about 14 hens, and added another 3 hens, and one that we're not sure about (pullet vs rooster). Every one of the hens from the existing flock puts the one that we're not sure about in it's place. During eating, during the roost shuffle at night, etc. If the unknown bird was a rooster would it be subject to the pecking ritual? Wouldn't it just be left alone and pretty much out of the pecking routine as the order is re-established?

Thanks!

If you can't tell gender, I'm guessing it's a young bird, adolescent? In that case, yes, the adult hens will absolutely establish dominance over it. I'm a 40 year old woman and I'm not letting any 15 year old boy be dominant over me!

You can post a pic and we can see if we can tell if it's male or female.

Definitely has hackles - and if the hens dominance for now is normal then I give. A cockerel it is. So - with 16 hens, will having this other rooster be a good backup plan for when our Alpha is no longer around? (The other, Golden Comet roosters were just visiting - not staying). Trying to decide if keeping him around will be a good backup down the road.

Back
Top Bottom