rooster lying on the ground gasping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Nov 2, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have a rooster that is 8mo old, he is a standard polish, he is a hatchery bird that we got at a feed store. He only has one wing, the other never grew feathers and seem stunted. This morning we found him laying on the floor of the coop unable to get up. He still seems to have streangth and able to move his legs when I pick him up. When I put him on the ground he just falls over. While holding him he was gasping, opening his mouth wide and streatching out his neck. He has a little discharge, non that is very apparent. Just a little gunk around his mouth, his eyes are clear as well as his nose. He is shaking his head. He is in a flock of 18 layers, I have seperated him from them. None of the other chickens are showing symptoms. However I did have a silkie that went to show and was showing the gasping symptoms but nothing else during the show. Could it be mycoplasmosis? or something else?? I am worried about the rest of my flock!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Have you checked for gape worm?

3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Thanks for that idea, I looked it up but I think with the falling over it's more than likely a respritory problem. The only time he is gasping is when he gets stressed out from being held. I do see the symptom of the shaking heads going on though. I am going to treat everyone with oxine as a precaution hopefully if it is a respritory issue that will take care of it! [​IMG]

4. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi again, I should have posted this earlier, but here is what the Merck Vet. Manual says about symptoms of gapeworm: "Young birds are the most severely affected by gapeworms. Sudden death and verminous pneumonia characterize early outbreaks. Signs of gasping, choking, shaking of the head, inanition, emaciation, and suffocation may follow. Necropsy reveals adult gapeworms obstructing the lumina of the trachea, bronchi, and lungs. Respiratory inflammation may be present. The blood-red, female gapeworm is usually found in copulation with a much smaller, paler male with its head embedded deep in the host tissue. The joined pair have a “Y”-shaped or forked appearance." Your description of your rooster's respiratory problems reminded me of this Merck passage.

5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Hmm... well a parasite like gapeworm may be easier to fend off than mycoplasmosis...would I be able to see it? Thanks for the info! I guess I will try both ways of attack, I need to look up more remedees for gapeworm.

6. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by