Rooster made a nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Achickenwrangler#1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Ever see that before? Have just been watching them as they free range and the one rooster acting like a good boy, calling the hens over for a treat, and oddly, making a fuss over bits of straw too, clucking and holding it up.
    I had to lock them up in the new coop, for many reasons, 2 roosters on one shelf, 3 hens below that. (I have made a divider for the roosters to install today) They all were together unti now, sleeping in the same nest. Well I noticed a nest made in the rooster box, how interesting...I've seen no mention of that type of behavior before...I'd like to let them all mingle together, butright now, can't beccause of the different flocks and ages of chicks, the biggest reason being getting them all in at night, especially with the rooster standing in the door keeps the little ones away.
    I'm just wondering if anybody has seen this before? I know some birds build nests together, so I'm curious if anyone has seen it with chickens.

2. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    My cockerel does that, or at least tries to. He's 5 months old and full of hormones, and I've seen him lie down inside the coop, circle around in one spot, move some pine shavings around, and do the cutest bokbokbok to call the pullets and show them what he did for them. It's adorable [​IMG]

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Yeah! He does bok bok alot and do alittle dance!! He's in love.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by