Rooster making strange noises

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coolchick17, Sep 23, 2012.

1. coolchick17

coolchick17 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2010
    Does anyone know what's wrong with my polish crested rooster? He's making strange noises and it sounds as though he's congested.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Did he crow normal before this? It almost sounds like he has something caught in his throat. Does he act sick? Does he eat?

3. coolchick17

coolchick17 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2010
    Yes he crowed normal before this. Found him this morning dead. I'm wondering if this was the beginning signs to a respiratory infection or if it was botulism. Yesterday he was standing still, head down, feathers puffed and drooped. He wasn't eating or drinking. I have a bucket of water in the run that gets algae growing in it after 2 days. I'm wondering if thats what he died from or if it could be some moss that was growing around the run. Maybe we could use this video as an early sign of an illness.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It looks like he's gasping for breath. I don't know why, but I'm very sorry. [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with seminolewind- he was gasping for breath. I am sorry for your loss. I don't know the cause of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by