Rooster making strange sounds

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
One of my roosters, a 1 year old EE, is making strange sounds since yesterday. I've only heard it twice now, but he kind of gurgles (intermittently for a couple minutes), and then does something that's almost like a hiccup.
He acts totally fine otherwise. He's eating and drinking, crowing, mounting the girls, etc. I've felt his throat to see if there's something stuck in there (he has had a problem with that in the past), but I don't feel anything.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Alright, so I checked his crop early this morning, and it was empty.

I haven't been able to catch him doing the gurgling again yet, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to get a video.

I did notice that his crow sounds kind of weird. It doesn't necessarily sound bad, just not how it was before.

One big thing I found though, are these poops. Almost all his poops are full of blood. Obviously the first thing I thought of was Coccidiosis, but that doesn't really make sense, because the whole flock was on a preventative dose of Corid from the 18th to the 22nd. Also, as he's been living here his whole life, and was raised outside from the very beginning, he should be immune to the Coccidia here.
Have you ever de-wormed him?

If he were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis, Enteritis and if he's not been recently wormed, then I would also de-worm.

Treat for Coccidiosis::::
I would give a direct oral drench of Corid for 3 days in a row. This is in addition to him drinking the mixed Corid water as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

Direct drench instructions are found here:: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Do make sure the mixed Corid water is fresh and you give the correct dose of 2tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid per gallon of water. 5-7 days in a row, only source of water and do not add any electrolytes or vitamins to the water.

Treat for Enteritis:::
Fish Mox/Fish Antibiotics aka Amoxicillin can be ordered online or sometimes can be found at TSC. Dose him at a rate of 57mg per pound of weight orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
If you have another antibiotic on hand, let me know what it is...it may be suitable(?)

De-worm:::
Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Equine paste - dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
OR
Valbazen dosed at 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Do see that he's eating his normal feed.
I would also offer him a little white cooked rice mixed with buttermilk or plain yogurt once a day as treat.

Could there be something else going on? Yes. But this is what I would do if he were mine to see if there's improvement.

Keep us posted.

If you can get a video of him, that may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
I can try to get a video tomorrow.

Check his crop in the morning to make sure it's emptying overnight. Wouldn't hurt to look inside the beak while you are checking him out in the a.m. too.
I will check his crop. I tried to look inside his beak, but he kept pulling his head away, and closing his beak again. I couldn't get him to hold still long enough.

I haven't been able to catch him doing the gurgling again yet, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to get a video.

I did notice that his crow sounds kind of weird. It doesn't necessarily sound bad, just not how it was before.

One big thing I found though, are these poops. Almost all his poops are full of blood. Obviously the first thing I thought of was Coccidiosis, but that doesn't really make sense, because the whole flock was on a preventative dose of Corid from the 18th to the 22nd. Also, as he's been living here his whole life, and was raised outside from the very beginning, he should be immune to the Coccidia here.

View attachment 2813300
View attachment 2813303View attachment 2813302View attachment 2813301
That looks pretty bad just incase try Amprolium in his water supply to see if it helps

If you can get a video of him, that may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Check his crop in the morning to make sure it's emptying overnight. Wouldn't hurt to look inside the beak while you are checking him out in the a.m. too.

2574.jpeg

2579.jpeg
2578.jpeg
2576.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom