Rooster making weird gaaging...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misscrazy24, Jul 5, 2011.

1. misscrazy24

misscrazy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
    Hi My Easter Egger rooster is making a weird gaaging motion

^

Looks like this. Doesn't happen very often - just once in a while. But i'm not sure what it is and should I be concerned?

He's a house pet - (he thinks he's a dog). He eats dough, seeds grapes and raisins and green leaves. He's 3 years old now.

What should I do?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I don't think he's ill mine do it sometimes i always think it looks like their crowing with the mute button on:)

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Well it might be gapeworms or some respiratory problem. If you haven't done a worming program you might want to start now. I'd do Wazine first. A week later Valbazon. I'd recommend Ivermectin but that won't kill gapes.

You might want to try and get a look down his throat. I think gapes are red 'Y' shaped worms. I have never seen one myself. Crop and breath okay? No gurgly, sneezy, chirping, runny eyes or nose?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Some of my chickens do that too. I have always wondered about it. I hope someone here can answer your question-I would like to know if it's anything to worry about as well. [​IMG]

5. misscrazy24

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
    Hey
    I dont think it's gaping worms...he doesn't eat anything from outside...(how can your chicken get gaping worms).

All other symptoms are normal. He TALKS (like always making these random crying noises (well thats what we call them)) a lot lol but I think that's just cause he lives with us humans - very loving and snuggly. I know - very abnormal rooster.

This gaaging thing only happens every so often....if it was gaping worms it would be constant right?

its weird - when he does do it he makes a sort of a click sound......

6. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    If it is only occasional it's probably a yawn. I wouldn't worry about it. If he has other symptoms, I would worry about it. Any sneezing or chirps or gurgles might mean a respiratory problem.

7. misscrazy24

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
    By occasional I mean that he doesn't do it everyday. He's doing it now - and it continues constantly every maybe 10 - 30 seconds and sometimes goes away and comes back like 10 mins later....

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    This person claims pneumonia but there's no follow up about the treatment. It does match your chicken's symptoms the best from what I've seen.

9. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Mine do this all the time and they are on a good worming regimen. I suspect they do this when they have eaten a bit much or when their crop might be feeling sluggish. I notice it much more after evening scratch time and when they find a particularly nice patch of "bug cookies" while free ranging. If I think one of mine is doing this to excess, I'll usually feed it a bit of bread soaked in olive or vegetable oil just to be sure the crop isn't too packed. I've never connected any kind of serious illness to the behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by