Rooster management question - need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bethrich, Dec 7, 2008.

1. bethrich

bethrich Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2007
    Cape ELizabeth ME
    I have 3 roosters, 2 that were given to me and 1 that my hens hatched. I have a friend who raises chickens on his farm who will give one or more of my roosters a good home...and given the fighting of the 2 brothers who were given to me (australope mix - BEAUTIFUL birds) I need to thin out the rooster gang.

Here is my questions...Do I keep Waylon, the biggest, loudest rooster who is clearly in charge of the flock of 12 hens but a bit aggressive and give away his brother Willie, who is smaller, less agreesive and quieter??? OR keep the quieter, milder one...

What about my own rooster, Jack, who is a bantam blue cochin/auracauna mix, quiet, small, fairly mild mannered and just starting to show some mature tendencies (born July 1). I hate to give away the 1st chick we hatched here. Would he be ok with the big rooster in charge? Would he take over the flock if I gave away both big boys???

Some advice?? ANyone??? I ahve never had so mnay roosters...[​IMG]

thanks, as always.

Beth

2. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd keep the one I liked most UNLESS it was the aggressive one.
    There is no room on this 50 acres for anything aggressive, especially with the kids being here on the farm too!
    Todd

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Give away the two big roos and keep the one you hatched.

Ur, that's what I'd do anyway.

4. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    If you opt to loose the biggest and meanest one, one of the others will step up and be the flockmaster. It's their job!

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Well, I understand your dilemma! I would find the 2 fighting brother a new home, keep your big boy(the flock keeper), and keep your bantam roo. We have a large RIR roo who is our flock keeper and a little bantam roo(and several others), but they all just get along fine--they'll have the occasional bump into each other or fight, but they usually learn to get along. Good luck!

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You can have more than 1 roo, as long as you give the lesser roos an escape route. In other words if they have to stay together in a confined space I would keep just one, but if they have plenty of room, and can be away from each other you should be fine, Also I have found that if they were raised together they are more tolerant of each other(maybe they establish pecking order at an early age and stick with that)

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with Mahonri. I would get rid of the two Roo's that were given to you and keep the one you hatched.

8. bethrich

bethrich Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2007
    Cape ELizabeth ME
    this has been so helpful, everyone - thank you![​IMG]

The youngest roo - the one that I hatched - is 6 months old -is that too young to give the flock some leadership, though?

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

what are you using your roo for?
    pet = get rid of the big ones
    protection = keep the aggressive
    breeding = keep the aggressive
    1 to "tell" your girls what to do = keep the aggressive
    if you cant "handle" an aggressive roo ,, keep the "baby" lol [​IMG]

10. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Quote:Six months is when you should start to see him exercise his control or dominance. He will not do that if there is another boss roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by