Rooster manners with his ladies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hoosierhen, Feb 6, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm new at this chicken thing so tell me if this is normal rooster behavior, or is my rooster extra rough on the hens.

My RIR rooster, Rudy, has been breeding my 12 hens for about a month. At first he didn't seem so violent, but now, he pecks at them before he grabs and covers them. When he starts chasing them, they scream and try to run away, but he is relentless.

I really like having a roo- I love to hear him crow, and he does watch over the flock and sound a warning if there is danger outside. I try to shoo him awayfrom the girls when I'm in the coop, but it just makes him more determined! Is this normal?

2. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I know what you are going through. I had 2 roosters and 4 hens. They were ganging up on the gals if you know what I mean. One had no feathers on her back.

Well we decided to cull one of the roosters (ate it) and things were better for a while, then the 10 lb rooster I had left got killed by a hawk.

Now things are very calm, the one that lost her feathers is in charge now and they are laying fine.

I do have some new 10 week old chicks and I have a roo or two in there, I will wait and see how things go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by