Rooster mated to his mother?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have two roosters. Thor is a LF dark brahma, that lives in a coop with 11 LF and one bantam brahma hen. Impy is a turken that lives with his 12 hens - turken, SFs, EEs, silkies, and SS - in my other coop.

I fully intend to cull both roosters this summer. Thor is a good rooster, but he has a chronic leg problem that I've given up hope of curing. He's in obvious pain and it's getting worse. Plus, at 3 years old, his fertility is starting to decline. Impy is 9 months old. He's also a pretty good roo, but he has never mastered the art of mating. He's unintentionally rough on the hens and now most of the girls are bald-headed from his attempts.

I want to cull these two in favor of two of my broodies chicks. TJ (if in fact TJ is a roo) and Cash. TJ is Thor's offspring, with his mother being one of my brahma hens. I have no idea which one. Cash is Impy's offspring; he's turken over turken. I think I know who Cash's mama is, and her eggs are very distinct. TJ would have to go with the brahma hens, because he is going to be much too big to be in with the other hens. That means Cash will be in the coop with the variety of breeds.

To make a long question short, is it okay that they will be at some point in the future mating their mothers? Will the resulting eggs be okay for incubating or would I need to always use purchased eggs?

Its fine. Breeding father to daughter or son to mother and even brothers to sisters is just line breeding and its often done to improve desirable traits. Like say when a new color pops up in only one rooster and one of his offspring has the color, you can breed father to daughter to get more chicks of that color. A silkie breeder helped me with that question when I needed to know a little while back.

thats fine. you need new blood about every 2 generations with most farm animals. even 3 generations usually isn't a problem. however much more than that and you can run into problems. look at some american pure breed dogs. can't remember the breed name, but the one that has long blond hair. some of them are so inbred they get lost on the end of their leash. for animals that have a lot of young, poultry and litter birthing animals mostly, mutations will start to occur more often. normally you will have a mutated baby whatever every now and then. but the more inbred the higher the chance. this usually occurs around gen 5 or higher.

this is my experience with pigs and cattle. poultry may be different. i mean theoretically 1 hen could produce 300-340 offspring a year. this assumes high production, 100% fertility and every egg hatches. with those numbers problems with a few offspring goes through the roof.

sorry if thats more info than you wanted.so long story short son to mother is fine.

it is ok to a point, eventually, you will find you get more and more chicks with defects, you really want to augment your supply every other year

UH UM!

most of the girls are bald-headed

bald chicks are HOT!
love.gif

Impy​

Quote:
bald chicks are HOT!
love.gif

Impy

And your naked neck is fixin' to get alot shorter!
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom