1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Mating Duck????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cricket, May 27, 2007.

1. Cricket

Cricket Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Today... I caught my barred rock rooster on top of my duck. I "think" he was trying to mate her... I don't think he hurt her at all, I just didn't understand why he was on top of her and bouncing.

Any suggestions, similar experiences??

Cricket

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    cricket, yes I've heard of this quite often, although a fertile egg and normal hatch isn't possible. Chickens take 21 days to hatch, while ducks take 28 days, making enough difference to matter. Hope this made sense?

bigzio

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The rooster just needed to mate and the duck was handy.

Not only hatch times, but totally different breeds/species would make it impossible for a fertilization to take place. Ain't never gonna happen. No way no how. [​IMG]

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    You mean that isn't how we ended up with Chickenduck???[​IMG]

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    He he he he he!! My roos have never mated with my duck, but boy has she tried to get them to!!!! I swear my duck is just plain weird!! Course she is the only adult duck right now, cant wait till the Babies grow up, so she will once again be a normal duck![​IMG] [​IMG]

6. soccerguy17

soccerguy17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    washington
    u will be surprised with what a rooster will try to mate with i once caught my rooster ontop of a stuffed dog toy:eek:[​IMG]

7. Cricket

Cricket Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks all!

Woooo... I was beginning to wonder! LOL!!!

So he's a normal randy thing... got it! ^_^

Cricket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by