Rooster mating or being mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ihavechicks, Nov 26, 2010.

1. ihavechicks

ihavechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    My chickens are almost 6 months old. I have a rooster that has started attacking my pullet on a regular basis. He jumps on top of her and won't let her up. I would've swore that he was trying to mate with her, but he was standing in the wrong direction. My girls have not started laying eggs yet. Is he trying to mate or just showing dominance? Is she getting ready to lay eggs? This is my first time with chicks so this is all new to me. Thanks for any input.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's trying to mate with her. If she's not showing signs of complying (for example, squatting down for him) then she's not ready to lay eggs. If she's the same age, you should expect it any day now though.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hopefully he's just practicing or learning and he will get the idea soon. If he were handy I'd kick him off (gently nudge him off.)

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Obviously, you haven't had "the talk" with him yet. [​IMG]

5. ihavechicks

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    They are the same age, within a few days. I nudged him off of her but he went after her again. She just lays on the ground with her tail feathers up in the air, so I figured she was getting close. I sure hope it is true, can't wait to get some eggs:D

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You say "pullet." Hopefully you have more than one. One rooster to one pullet can be a pretty abusive situation. His technique will improve, but he needs nine or ten hens.

7. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    There are little aprons you can put on the hens if he is too rough with her - but to answer the title of your post... Yes, and yes. Sourland is right, one hen will take a lot of abuse with one Roo - you might consider getting a few more hens.

8. ihavechicks

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    We got 9 chicks when they were a few weeks old, my sister hatched them for us. We think only 3 of them are girls and the rest boys.

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:If you have 6 roosters with 3 hens, you'd best be getting rid of 5 of those roosters pretty quickly, or penning them up in separate quarters. Your poor pullets will be ill used once all those roosters begin to come of age...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by