~Rooster mating or fighting?~

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justino, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    so when a roo mates with hens, how old is he usually when he starts...and how does he do it? does he bite their comb? becuase i saw sunny on my silkies back biting its head it looked like....i thought they were fighting but now idk [​IMG] oh and is it ok for a lehorn to bemating with a silkie? theyre is such a huge size difference!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  2. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    oh, and its the leghorn doin whatever with a silkie...no other way around [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... if he was standing on her, or trying to, he was probably trying to mate. My leghorn roo's started trying at about 5 months old. Leghorns are ligher birds so I wouldn't worry too much with him and silkies. However, if he is much more than 2.5x her weight, I'd start to worry then.

4. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    well i think hes around 4 months...maybe more or less im not really sure and the silkies are 1 week younger....will a roo ever try to mate with another roo? because the silkie i have seen him do it with was one i was pretty sure it was a roo [​IMG] so thats a good thing and a bad thing because i dont want it hurt... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by