Rooster mating with pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Walking John, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Walking John

Walking John New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    Will a newly intruduced mature rooster mate with underage pullets? If so, will he hurt the pullets?

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I had kind of the reverse of that this spring. A full grown rooster with 5 full grown hens and then introduced the new 8 pullets. He did not try to mate with them. That's not to say a rooster might not try, but mine did not. My gut feeling is that the roosters can tell when the pullets become mature enough. I had to cull that nasty rooster and found out one of my new 8 was a rooster. He did start to mate some of the pullets, but not all of them. My observations are that (at least I think) he only mated the pullets that had begun to lay. So I doubt there's any for sure answer and the best advice I could give is to put them together when you can supervise so nobody gets hurt.

3. Walking John

Walking John New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you for the info. I went ahead and put the rooster in with the flock. It was a little hairy there for a little while. First, there was a scuffle between the new rooster and my younger New Hampshire Red. After that was over he chased after just about every chicken I have (seventeen in all). They were in the yard, so they managed to escape. I'm sure some suffered minor head and neck wounds, but nothing serious. However, he did manage to have sucess with one weaker Barred Rock pullet. No damage was done that I could see. After that, things calmed down, and are now pretty much back to normal.

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That all sounds pretty successful to me. Are you going to keep it this way for now? Do you think the pullets he mated with are at or almost at point of lay?

5. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Funny you posted this... I have a roo that's the same age as my pullets, but he's being pecked because he's chasing and trying to "mate" the pullets. ??? They are all between 8 weeks and 11 weeks old, with the majority of them, including the roo, being about 8 1/2 weeks. I had to separate him because they had pecked him bloody and he's just healing up now.
    Glad to hear the integration went well! [​IMG]

6. Allsardane

Allsardane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    I'm with JusticeFamilyFarm,

I have 1 jersey giant cockerel with 6 smaller/bantam pullets and 9 larger breed pullets on an acre of land (free range). They are all about 16 or 17 weeks old.

4 days ago he started crowing and now every morning and every evening he chases his girls around trying to mate. They aren't laying yet and he leaves the smaller girls alone, so I'm figuring that he just got a pretty good dose of hormones and is doing what he is supposed to be doing. No dancing, no treats, no mood music.... I suspect he'll get better as he matures a little. Some pulled feathers and a lot of noise, but nobody seems to hurt.

7. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    i put 9 two month old hens with a buff roo and 8 australorp hens and now the 9 younger hens still havnt ever (that i've seen) been jumped by the roo.

8. Walking John

Walking John New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    I think they need one more rooster. The pullets are different ages and different breeds. I think the oldest may be four months old. At this writing, 3 in the pm, on the same day, all is well.

9. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I had a rooster trying to mate with the 6-8 week old pullets when I let them out into the yard for the first time. I think he could have seriously injured one of them if I hadn't put a stop to that. He got caged for 2 days for that little incident. [​IMG]

10. Walking John

Walking John New Egg

Jul 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by