rooster mating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shmeggs, Dec 24, 2013.

1. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    if a rooster fertilizes a hen how long will it be until the egg is fertilized? I have only had a rooster about a month and I don't think we have fertilized eggs yet. I have seen him breeding some of the hens so I know he is trying to do his part of the job.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    After a mating, the sperm resides in the sperm host glands in the vagina. The next time an egg is laid it will squeeze some of the semen out of the sperm host glands and they will make their way up the isthmus, magnum and finally to the infundibulum. That could take an extra day or two. The next ovum released by the ovaries will spend about 15 minutes in the infundibulum. If there is viable sperm there it will fertilize. After the first mating it could take as long as a week or more based on that and how often a hen lays eggs.
    If a hen isn't laying very often it could take longer.
    Have you looked for the bullseye on the yolks?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. shmeggs

Nov 24, 2013
    I was told take egg in a really dark room with a really bright flashlight look for veins running around inside shell of egg. I have noticed looking in shell of egg sometimes there is a bullseye inside shell when I look in shell with bright light.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There won't be veins unless incubation has started. That usually begins 3 or 4 days after the egg has been at about 100 degrees F.

6. shmeggs

Nov 24, 2013
    can I see this bullseye from outside the shell

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I can barely see it on the yolk after I crack it open.
    Go to the link Flockwatcher gave you. That will make it very clear.

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No. The only ways to tell if they are fertile is open them and find a bullseye, or see development upon candling after incubating a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by